MA 232: Introduction to Algebraic Topology
The fundamental group: Homotopy of maps, multiplication of paths, the fundamental group, induced homomorphisms, the fundamental group of the circle, covering spaces, lifting theorems, the universal covering space, Seifert-van Kampen theorem, applications.
Simplicial Homology: Simplicial complexes, chain complexes, definitions of the simplicial homology groups, properties of homology groups, applications.
- Hatcher, A., Algebraic Topology, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Armstrong, M.A., Basic Topology, Springer (India), 2004.
Assignments will be posted roughly once in two weeks.
- Instructor: Siddhartha Gadgil
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Office: N-15, Department of Mathematics, IISc.
This course will be offered online, and details will be posted as they become available.