MA 231: Topology
Open and closed sets, continuous functions, Metric topology, Product topology, Connectedness and path-connectedness, Compactness, Countability axioms, Separation axioms, Complete metric spaces, Quotient topology, Topological groups, Orbit spaces, Urysohn’s lemma, Metrizability, Baire Category theorem.
- Armstrong, M. A., Basic Topology, Springer (India), 2004.
- Munkres, J. R., Topology, Pearson Education, 2005.
- Viro, O.Ya., Ivanov, O.A., Netsvetaev, N., and Kharlamov, V.M., Elementary Topology: Problem Textbook, AMS, 2008.
We will mostly follow the book Elementary Topology: Problem Textbook by Viro et. al., which is available online.
Assignments will be posted roughly once a week.
- Instructor: Siddhartha Gadgil
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Office: N-15, Department of Mathematics, IISc.
- Timing: Mon, Wed, Fri 9:00 am - 10:00 am.
- Venue: LH-4.
- Teaching Assistant: Srijan Sarkar
- Office: X-13, Department of Mathematics, IISc.
- Tutorial timing: Wed 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Microsoft Teams: Please join the Team “Topology : August 2022” using the Team code j0irp36
Note that students are responsible for all the material covered in the lectures this semester, which is likely to be more than that in the above resources. Experience also suggests that offline lectures are more effective. Thus, it is wise to use the above as supplements, not substitutes, for the lectures.
Examinations and Grades
Grades will be based on the assignments, midterm examination and final examinations with the following weightages.
- Assignments: 10%
- Midterm: 40%
- Final exam: 50%
The following are the details for the Midterm Examination
- Date: Monday, September 19, 2021.
- Timing: 9:00 am to 10:30 am.
- Venue: LH-4, Department of Mathematics.
- Syllabus: Material covered in lectures up to September 12, 2022.
- Weightage: 40% of the total.